Monday, April 21, 2008

Help to keep the beaches clean!



As my husband, our dog Josh and I were walking along the beach Saturday afternoon while the sun was setting beautifully, I quickly became discouraged that such an awesome wonder and beautiful setting could be ruined by such negligence. During our approximate 2 mile walk, I found myself instead of looking for shells and sharks teeth, I was combing the beach for litter.


I found several empty plastic bottles that were left by recent visitors (the labels weren't even faded), an abandoned beach chair thrown up in the dune, plastic wrappers, cigarette boxes and butts and the list goes on. As a local, this disturbs me that other locals and even the visitors that pay an abundance of money to vacation here would leave behind such things while enjoying themselves at the beach. Just because they pay the money doesn't mean that the litter rules do not apply to them. The hovering seagulls looking for food could easily pick up digest and die from plastic. By the end of the walk (that was supposed to be relaxing) I ended up more stressed and annoyed than I was when we started the walk. I cannot believe that people are so careless and thoughtless especially when the towns have placed multiple trash cans at every public access.


This is my hometown, visitors are welcome and encouraged but PLEASE.... discard your trash in the trash cans as you leave the beach after a day of fun in the sun. God gave us this beautiful landscape to enjoy. Enjoy it and be responsible for helping to keep it beautiful.



1 comment:

Carla said...

I agree! I mean, who do these tourists think they are? :)