Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Where has the time gone?

As I sit at this computer today and reflect on the activities in our household the last month as it blew by without permission, consideration for time or otherwise.  It has just hit me that I am the mother of a 16 year old beautiful and exquisite in her own way young lady.  She has grown into a responsible and well rounded individual (notice I didn't say "woman" or even "young woman"). 

To fill you in, in the last month we have gotten the prom dress and the class ring.  And all the sudden it hits me.... She's gonna graduate High School NEXT year! WHAT AM I GONNA DO!? How do I stop it?!..... and then the reality sets in that there is absolutely NOTHING I can do about it.  I can't turn back the clock, I can't put her back in diapers (well.... I could but it wouldn't be pretty), I can't and won't get a "do over" its already been done. She's independent, she's dating, she's doin' her own thing and now I know just how my mother felt when the apron string came undone. No matter how hard I try to tie that knot, it always tries to come loose. 

As I was sitting in the auditorium the other night as she was receiving her class ring, all those young adults in there, most she went to day care with, known all her life or are related to ( it is a small town) and I see how each of them have their own personality, the need to be an individual but also the need to fit in. They've all grown up.  Really...they are.... and.... they will tell you they are even if it is with the piercing glare they give when you're trying to guide them.. I cannot believe that in a matter of a few months she will be 17 years old.  I remember when she was 17 months old like it was yesterday but I won't go into embarrassing her, this blog alone is probably more than enough.


Bottom line is this.... Take each day as a blessing with your children they WILL be grown before you know it.  Every time they whine, every time they cry, every time the get a boo boo is a memory for cherishing. I know some parents personally will never be able to see their children grow up, old or otherwise  for whatever reason and I know they would tell you the very same thing.  Children are a miracle and a gift from God above.  Do not take them for granted.

I love you baby,

Momma


3 comments:

Carla said...

Love it!

Unknown said...

I love you too momma ツ♥

Unknown said...

And YOUR mama loves YOU!!!